I had a rather busy weekend with errands and household chores but I did want to bake a little something. I found this wonderful variation on my favorite poundcake and decided to give it a quick try.
It is a nice firm textured poundcake with the added attraction of almond extract and wonderful amaretto liquer. I am not a huge fan of almond extract as I feel it has a strange aftertaste but smoothed out with the butter, milk and amaretto it loses that medicinal taste and adds a mellow sweetness to this cake.
The cake is as easy as a regular pound cake. Cream the butter and sugar, add the eggs and flavorings and then alternate the wet and dry ingredients and that’s it. Into the oven for about an hour and then cool it in the pan and unmold the tastiness for all to enjoy. I have included the recipe below but you can also find it on the Dixie Crystal website.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/4 cup amaretto
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup half & half
- 3 tablespoons amaretto
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 10-inch bundt pan with baking spray or butter and flour it. Set aside.
- In small bowl, whisk together milk and vinegar. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In large bowl of stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla and almond until well combined. Beat in flour mixture alternating with milk and amaretto.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, until center is set and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely (in bundt pan) before inverting onto cake plate.
- Amaretto Sauce: Combine the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until smooth. Add the cream and amaretto and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve pound cake warm drizzled with amaretto sauce.